ISSUANCE AND RENEWAL OF CERTIFICATES OF INDIAN STATUS
HOW TO PROCEED
As of December 17, 2014, under a directive from Indigenous Services Canada (ISC), Indian Registry Administrators are no longer authorized to issue or renew Certificates of Indian Status (cards) by mail. CSI must be issued in person only.
In Odanak, this service is offered by the person responsible for the registrar. You must make an appointment with her by calling 450-568-2810.
You must bring the following documents:
- Your old card, as it must be cancelled and destroyed;
- Two “health insurance card” or “driver’s license” size photos (you do not have to cut them out, the agent will do it for you);
- Two identity cards with photos (examples: driver’s license, health insurance card, student card, etc.);
- To obtain a Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) by mail, you must apply directly through ISC or complete the attached forms:
– Request for existing registrants (To be sent to the National Processing Unit (Indigenous Services Canada) – 10, Wellington Street, Gatineau (Qc) K1A 0H4)
– Guarantor Declaration
– Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor